Saturday, March 5, 2011

Red Flags

This is going to be a brief but informative post. I just want to offer some warnings to those of you who are new to online genealogy searches.

Some websites may look like they have good information, but are merely looking to make a buck. If a website tells you that by just endering a surname they can give you tons of information on that name, be warned it's probably not accurate information. Usually sites of this nature will run a basic internet search on the surname and provide non-verified information.

An example of this variety of website is those that offer you information on a family crest, coat of arms, or shield. With all of the surnames that I have researched their is only one in my hetitage that I have found a reliable reference to a coat of arms. And, even still I don't know how accurate it is.

Another kind of website that you may not want to trust is one that tells you the surname's history. Unless the site provides in depth information on particular family members and/or provides numerous sources, I would not add this information to your tree.

I hope this helps.

No Homework today.

No comments:

Post a Comment